Lichty Guitars Hosts a Geoff Achison Guitar Workshop
On June 18th ten lucky folks will have the extraordinary opportunity to participate in an acoustic guitar playing workshop with one of the top guitarists of our time, Australian guitarist/singer/songwriter Geoff Achison. This will be an afternoon to remember!
Spend two and a half hours in this small group setting getting tips and instruction from a musician who was named one of the Top Ten Hottest New Guitarists by Guitar Player Magazine in 2008. You’ll find a sample of the long list of international awards and honors he has received below. Geoff is frequently gives guitar workshops at Fur Peach Guitar Ranch in Ohio where he teaches electric blues guitar. Learn more about Geoff at www.geoffachison.com.
Achison Guitar Workshop Details
- Date: June 18th, 2011
- Time: 3:00pm to 5:30pm
- Location: Lichty Guitars’ Studio in Tryon, NC
- Cost: $50
- Tickets are limited to TEN so call or email us today. We currently have just a few spots left. (firstname.lastname@example.org or 828-817-1460)
We hope you’ll join us for some serious fun!
GEOFF ACHISON: ‘Souldiggin’ Blues Guitar Workshop
Australian blues/roots artist Geoff Achison began his world travels in 1995 when he won the Memphis Blues Foundation’s ‘Albert King Award’ and scored a Gibson Guitars endorsement deal for his fret-board skills.
He has since toured and recorded extensively around the USA, Europe and ‘down under’ performing either as a Solo Acoustic artist or electrified with his band, The Souldiggers.
Geoff enjoys the opportunity to teach and is a regular instructor, and charter member at Jorma Kaukonen’s famous Fur Peace Ranch guitar camp in Ohio, USA.
His workshops are relaxed and informal affairs where he engages his students in friendly conversation discussing their mutual love of music and desire to master their chosen instrument.
With his enormous wealth of playing experience he specialises in exploring techniques that can help musicians to get the most out of the instrument without getting bogged down in mountains of theory and extra study.
Flat pick and finger-style, dynamic rhythm & lead are covered as well as some hot jamming tips.
With just a few basic chords and simple scales you’ll see how amazing music can be made.
“Possibly one of the most gifted musicians to arrive on the scene … His playing verges on the miraculous”
~The Times of London, UK
Geoff is one of the finest guitarists I know, with a completely individual style. I have never seen anyone play quite like him.”
~Jorma Kaukonen, Hot Tuna USA
“Achison has been hailed as one of the finest blues players in Australia.”
~Encyclopaedia of Australian Rock and Pop, Australia
“Achison’s virtuosity with the guitar is unmatched, as anyone who’s seen him even once will attest. He’s at the top of the game.”
~Rhythms Magazine, Australia
“His mastery of both the acoustic and electric allow his guitars to achieve heights never reached by most accomplished rock guitarists.”
Creative Loafing, Atlanta, GA USA
Geoff Achison’s Custom Lichty Guitar
More great news: We are proud to share that internationally acclaimed guitarist Geoff Achison chose NC luthier Jay Lichty to build a custom guitar for his North American tours.
A bit more about this Australian talent …
At the age of eleven this internationally acclaimed guitarist discovered an old guitar under the stairwell of his family home. Looking back this must seem to Geoff Achison like one of those life-changing moments. In the isolation of his rural Australian home he taught himself how to play, developing a style uniquely Achison. Early influences by the recordings of Eric Clapton, Freddie King, Albert Collins and other fueled his love for the blues. Over the years he has racked up a slew of awards that recognize his blues finesse as well as he talents as a songwriter, singer and his production of numerous critically acclaimed albums. The short list of awards might include the following honors:
- Top Ten Hottest New Guitarists Readers Poll – Guitar Player Magazine 2008
- Best New Male Artist – Lithgow 1994 (Aust.)
- Best Blues Guitarist – Lithgow 1994
- Album Of The Year – (Big Machine) – ‘Now Dig This’ PBS Fm1994
- Blues Performer Of The Year – Melbourne Blues Appreciation Society (MBAS) / 3PBS FM 1995
- Albert King Award – Memphis USA 1995
- Album Of The Month – (Mystery Train) Jazz FM, London UK 1998
- Male Artist Of The Year – VicTas Blues Music Awards 1999
- Australian Songwriters Award – (Comin’ Ta Getcha)1999
- Most Popular Guest Award – Rainbow Hotel / MBAS Jam 2001
- No. 1 Songs Award – (Comin’ Ta Getcha) Raw Talent Music Awards 2001
- Independent Music Awards USA – Finalist (Adam & Eve) 2001
- Kweevak usa ‘Album Of The Year’ critics choice – (Gettin’ Evil) 2002 – (Gettin’ Evil) 2002
- Kweevak usa ‘Album Of The Year’ viewers choice – (Gettin’ Evil) 2002 – (Gettin’ Evil) 2002
- Male Artist Of The Year – Victorian Blues Awards 2002
- Band Of The Year – Victorian Blues Awards 2002 (The Souldiggers)
- Band of The Year – Chain Blues Awards 2007 (The Souldiggers)
- Kweevak Music Magazine usa – (Little Big Men) 2007 Readers Choice awards
You can find Geoff online and get news about his available CD’s, his tour dates and all the latest news at www.geoffachison.com.