Geoff Achison to play a Lichty Guitar for his US Tours
We are proud to announce that internationally acclaimed guitarist Geoff Achison has chosen NC luthier Jay Lichty to build a custom guitar for his North American tours. The collaboration is underway between Geoff and Jay as they design the perfect-fit guitar for Geoff.
While we’ve had an opportunity to see Geoff live on several occasions, we actually met up with him in the summer of 2010 at The Saluda Wine Cellar where he played an amazing intimate concert. Geoff took time after the performance to play a few of Jay’s guitars and was genuinely impressed.
A week or so later Geoff generously agreed to play the Lichty guitar up for the LEAF raffle, in an effort to help support this great organization. Two quick videos shot in downtown Asheville just before one of his shows helped us to have a sold-out raffle raising nearly $3500.
Pretty soon Geoff will be playing a Lichty of his own! His US tour for 2011 starts in June and we’ll be sure to share his schedule once it is released.
A bit more about this Australian talent …
At the age of eleven this internationally acclaimed guitarist discovered an old guitar under the stairwell of his family home. Looking back this must seem to Geoff Achison like one of those life-changing moments. In the isolation of rural Australian home he taught himself how to play, developing a style uniquely Achison. Early influences by the recordings of Eric Clapton, Freddie King, Albert Collins and other fueled his love for the blues. Over the years he has racked up a slew of awards that recognize his blues finesse as well as he talents as a songwriter, singer and his production of numerous critically acclaimed albums. The short list of awards might include the following honors:
- Top Ten Hottest New Guitarists Readers Poll – Guitar Player Magazine 2008
- Best New Male Artist – Lithgow 1994 (Aust.)
- Best Blues Guitarist – Lithgow 1994
- Album Of The Year – (Big Machine) – ‘Now Dig This’ PBS Fm1994
- Blues Performer Of The Year – Melbourne Blues Appreciation Society (MBAS) / 3PBS FM 1995
- Albert King Award – Memphis USA 1995
- Album Of The Month – (Mystery Train) Jazz FM, London UK 1998
- Male Artist Of The Year – VicTas Blues Music Awards 1999
- Australian Songwriters Award – (Comin’ Ta Getcha)1999
- Most Popular Guest Award – Rainbow Hotel / MBAS Jam 2001
- No. 1 Songs Award – (Comin’ Ta Getcha) Raw Talent Music Awards 2001
- Independent Music Awards USA – Finalist (Adam & Eve) 2001
- Kweevak usa ‘Album Of The Year’ critics choice – (Gettin’ Evil) 2002 – (Gettin’ Evil) 2002
- Kweevak usa ‘Album Of The Year’ viewers choice – (Gettin’ Evil) 2002 – (Gettin’ Evil) 2002
- Male Artist Of The Year – Victorian Blues Awards 2002
- Band Of The Year – Victorian Blues Awards 2002 (The Souldiggers)
- Band of The Year – Chain Blues Awards 2007 (The Souldiggers)
- Kweevak Music Magazine usa – (Little Big Men) 2007 Readers Choice awards
You can find Geoff online and get news about his available CD’s, his tour dates and all the latest news at www.geoffachison.com.