Every custom ukulele that luthier Jay Lichty builds is crafted to satisfy the individual player’s vision and style. Working with Jay to design your custom built ukulele is a personalized process, focused on refining every detail until your ideal look, tone and playability are achieved. You will be an integral part of the creative journey as together you design the handmade ukulele you have always imagined playing.
Getting Started on Your Custom Ukulele
When you order your Lichty ukulele, you will have an opportunity to choose every detail, from shape, model, tonewoods and headstock design, to electronics and tuners.
Steps in the process:
- Select the model that fits your style of play. Jay currently builds seven different models and is continually working up new designs. He will be happy to discuss this with you.
- Choose the set of wood that you would like Jay to use for the back and sides from our tonewoods galleries. We currently have over two dozens species of woods that Jay works with.
- Decide on the options you would like. From visual details like binding and rosette to functional options like an armrest bevel or side soundport: you get to choose.
- Determine an estimate of the cost of your custom Lichty via our Price Estimator.
- Get in touch with Jay. He’ll answer your questions, talk over your ideas with you and let you know what his build schedule looks like.
Jay builds a wide variety of ukulele models and sizes because he personally loves to play everything from a concert to a baritone to a Baby Bard. Discuss your playing style with Jay to pick the model that is right for you.
We have an extensive collection of premium domestic and exotic tonewoods that are stacked, dried and ready for use. In our ukulele tonewood galleries we feature every available set in stock for you to choose from.
Greensleeves (played by Jay Lichty) - Traditional
“I LOVE this baritone UKULELE!!! Honestly, the instrument is so gorgeous! The colors and marvelous grain are absolutely beautiful and blend wonderfully together. The fit and finish of this instrument are wonderful- so smooth, with tight joints and no glue or finish blemishes anywhere! The braces are so delicate and thin. But it’s the sound that is the most wonderful of all! You really did an outstanding job, Jay, and I truly appreciate the effort and resulting high quality.” – Martha Carlisle, Maine
Works in Progress in the Luthier Shop
One of the many things that makes ordering a custom Lichty ukulele unique is being able to follow a photo journal of the building of your ukulele. We post photos along the way and you also will receive a set of images with delivery of your ukulele.
Step into our luthier shop to see the current projects Jay is working on. It may be anything from the latest custom builds to Jay kicking up dust around a new design he is cooking up.
Custom Ukulele Photography Gallery
- Visit our Master Gallery page to see custom ukuleles, guitars and ukes built by workshop students and more.
Jay welcomes your call or email anytime to discuss your ideal instrument and to explore all of the custom guitar options available.