Geoff Achison at Peterson Amphitheater, TFAC
We would never miss a chance to see and hear Geoff Achison in concert and an evening under the stars at the Peterson Amphitheater (Tryon Fine Arts Center) with Geoff – well, we can’t wait!
Friday, May 16th at 7:00pm
Peterson Amphitheater, Tryon Fine Arts Center
Admission is free – donations are greatly appreciated to support this and other community concerts.
Rain or Shine! Event moves indoors in the event of rain.
From Tryon Fine Arts Center website …
From Melbourne to Memphis, Geoff Achison has thrilled audiences with his dynamic blues playing, catchy originals and gutsy solo arrangements which range from James Brown to The Beatles, from Stevie Wonder to Ben Harper. A highly regarded instrumentalist and singer-songwriter, Geoff treats his guitar like an orchestra laying down a mix of earthy blues, heartfelt soul and irresistibly funky grooves.
More chances to catch Geoff while he is swinging through the states on his US tour –
May 29th, Isis Music Hall
June 13th Blueridge BBQ Festival, Tryon, NC
A bit more about this Australian talent …
At the age of eleven this internationally acclaimed guitarist discovered an old guitar under the stairwell of his family home. Looking back this must seem to Geoff Achison like one of those life-changing moments. In the isolation of rural Australian home he taught himself how to play, developing a style uniquely Achison. Early influences by the recordings of Eric Clapton, Freddie King, Albert Collins and other fueled his love for the blues. Over the years he has racked up a slew of awards that recognize his blues finesse as well as he talents as a songwriter, singer and his production of numerous critically acclaimed albums. The short list of awards might include the following honors:
- Top Ten Hottest New Guitarists Readers Poll – Guitar Player Magazine 2008
- Best New Male Artist – Lithgow 1994 (Aust.)
- Best Blues Guitarist – Lithgow 1994
- Album Of The Year – (Big Machine) – ‘Now Dig This’ PBS Fm1994
- Blues Performer Of The Year – Melbourne Blues Appreciation Society (MBAS) / 3PBS FM 1995
- Albert King Award – Memphis USA 1995
- Album Of The Month – (Mystery Train) Jazz FM, London UK 1998
- Male Artist Of The Year – VicTas Blues Music Awards 1999
- Australian Songwriters Award – (Comin’ Ta Getcha)1999
- Most Popular Guest Award – Rainbow Hotel / MBAS Jam 2001
- No. 1 Songs Award – (Comin’ Ta Getcha) Raw Talent Music Awards 2001
- Independent Music Awards USA – Finalist (Adam & Eve) 2001
- Kweevak usa ‘Album Of The Year’ critics choice – (Gettin’ Evil) 2002 – (Gettin’ Evil) 2002
- Kweevak usa ‘Album Of The Year’ viewers choice – (Gettin’ Evil) 2002 – (Gettin’ Evil) 2002
- Male Artist Of The Year – Victorian Blues Awards 2002
- Band Of The Year – Victorian Blues Awards 2002 (The Souldiggers)
- Band of The Year – Chain Blues Awards 2007 (The Souldiggers)
- Kweevak Music Magazine usa – (Little Big Men) 2007 Readers Choice awards
You can find Geoff online and get news about his available CD’s, his tour dates and all the latest at www.geoffachison.com.
“Possibly one of the most gifted musicians to arrive on the scene…” The Times, London UK (Live gig review)
“Achison has been hailed as one of the finest blues players in Australia.” Encyclopedia of Australian Rock and Pop
“Achison gets the true believers with a gruff, suitably soulful voice, and lets everybody else in with his winking wit.” Regan Kelly, Creative Loafing, Atlanta, GA
“Catchy, intelligent songwriting.” Downbeat Magazine – USA (Little Big Men CD review)
“Geoff is one of the finest blues guitarists I know with a completely individual style.” Jorma Kaukonen – Jefferson Airplane/Hot Tuna
“Achison’s latest album ‘One Ticket, One Ride’ shows that while he’s sown his seed in fertile blues/roots territory, he’s a master of driving funk and jazz inspired ambience.” Mike Uricheck – Elmore Magazine (One Ticket, One Ride CD review)