Custom Fretboard Options and Considerations
The fretboard is where all of the action takes place, so it has to look great and play smooth. Jay’s go-to wood is ebony, though he has worked with a variety of woods from snakewood and Granadillo to Indian Rosewood. When you are working up your design for your Lichty custom guitar or ukulele, he will go over all of the fretboard considerations with you.
Beyond the type of wood, the choices include:
- Binding is included on all instruments though you can opt not to have it.
- Purfling or no purfling?
- Standard mother-of-pearl fretboard markers or something different?
- Custom inlay?
- For guitar – Standard scale fretboard or multi-scale
- For ukulele – Radiused or not
- And while most of Jay’s instruments have nickel fretboard wire, copper alloy is an option.
What do all of these variations look like? We’ve featured examples of all in the gallery below.